Three Trails Ranch – Progress Report
April 19, 2010
The Great Commission/discipleship training ranch has seen a lot of progress since our last report on January 20th. We have had snow storms every week and now rain as the spring thaw has begun.
- At the Staff House or Main lodge: the third floor interior walls are finished, sheet rocked, wired, painted, R-29 insulation in the walls and R-49 blown insulation in the ceiling, lights are installed and the electricity is on. The outdoor siding is finished, the second floor eastern deck with stairs to the ground is mostly done that connects to the southern walkway that connects to the third floor egress deck which is also mostly done. The tile work is finished in two of three bathrooms.
- At the hotel on Feb. 22, half of the roof collapsed under only two feet of snow. The roof had only a 2x4 rafter system that had lasted over 30 years through a lot more snow than we had. We decided the best thing was to take the complete roof down and install heavy duty engineered trusses. The process took four weeks, but now we have a strong roof with metal roofing so that the snow can slide off better. Presently, we are working through the details with the insurance company which should help us to at least break even financially. Even though we had snow storms every week, we were able to avoid water damage in the open hotel rooms. This week, we are leveling and putting in strong pony walls on concrete under the major floor beams.
- At the Dining Hall: we are just getting started. It is a larger project than we had thought.
We have taken out all the existing cabinets, the ceiling, the R-39 insulation bats, exposed the wiring and lighting, the rafter system, all of which have problems that need to be fixed and brought up to code. So we gusseted all the rafters and strengthen all the ceiling timbers. The walls need studs, insulation and more wiring.
We need to have a commercial kitchen plan and approval from a heath inspector before we put in the stoves and other appliances.
- The Bunk House is rated to sleep 64 in bunk beds. We are starting this project by digging the foundation to add public bathrooms. In the next two weeks, we will pour the foundation and get ready to dismantle the roof structure and install the right trusses and roof structure.
- In May and June, we will be installing a new water system, a new septic system, and a new electrical system for all five buildings.
During the summer, we will be putting on free barbecues for anyone interested in seeing the Ranch and its potential as a Great Commission Training Center. The first open barbecue will be Saturday June 5th, from 1pm to dark, serving will begin at 6 pm. We hope you can join us for one of the barbecues this summer and to see what God is preparing to increase His kingdom worldwide.
Sincerely in Christ,
Russ & Linda Akins, Master Plan Ministries, 970-259-5768